Thursday 6 February 2014

(Making a house a home - Part 2) Rented home fun - key holder

Its slowly coming up to a year of me and Dan living in our flat, way back when we had lived here a few months I did a blog looking at some  makes I had done, just to add our touch to the place. (Part One home blog). Since then I have added a few more touches to the place!

Living in rented accommodation you have to find ways around making the place yours. This can be anything from a colourful throw or fresh curtains.  The past year I have been working amongst interiors so have picked up ideas along the way which have inspired me for ideas in the flat. I have a few simple ideas to share with you which over the next few blogs, in the meantime why not check out the ladies over at A Beautiful Mess have a few more renting ideas '30-renter-friendly-dig-ideas' 

My first little make was some where for me and Dan to put all the keys we seem to have collected! 

I wanted to create a welcoming space to hang our keys. I had some frames from a job lying around so I decided to use one of these to create the idea. Below is my little step by step of what I ended up with.


I had seen a really cute welcome sign on Pinterest so took the basic font idea from that. These little labels where really simply made, white card measured into 5x10cm tun cut out. To add the label hole detail, I used a hole punch and outlined it to make more of a feature.

To incorporate my welcome sign into the frame I used twine, I like how it slightly matches the gold finish on the frame as well.

Because I can't hammer anything into the walls I used these awesome 3M Hooks. I've come across these whilst working with Pippa Jameson. They are a great way to adda  hook to anywhere within your home, without damaging the walls. Pippa has some great blogs here about using the 3M products. They don't only sell hooks, they offer picture hanging strips for frames, poster strips, and a large range of hooks, great for the rented accommodation! And they are very simply used, the above picture you see the sticky tab that is attached to the hook and the the wall.
The next step is to secure the hook to the wall with a firm push, and leave it there for about 30mins before hanging items.
Because we have that many keys I went for three hooks, these hooks Ive used you can find here. There are many more sizes, colours, styles available and you can pick them up in most DIY stores as well.
So this is my finished key holder display. Like I said its simple, but it does the job and adds interest to the empty space above the shoe holder. Also means keys aren't lying around the house anymore!

Thanks for reading guys! More rented home makes and ideas soon.

Elle x

No comments:

Post a Comment