Thursday 18 July 2013

Zoe Brewer and being arty smarty.



Continuing on from my recent posts about my work with Zoe Brewer, amongst the logs and prepping I also got to make some pretty cool art for the Lower Mill project.

Zoes DIY interior art inspiration came from a visit to Meet the blogger, where Dulux presented ombre art. Have a look at her blog explaining it here.
Ombre is everywhere at the minute and has been slowly making its way to the fore front. I had ombre hair in 2011, I owned a Topshop ombre purple dress about two years ago and my mum had ombre cushions when I lived back home! So learning how to create the ombre art was a technique I was happy to pick up and also allowed me to grab my brushes and paints, which I always love!

The amount of art work needed for the project was quite a large sum. With 8 apartments been styled and each one needing that extra pop of colour, I was happy when Zoe told me I was getting some help in the form of Miss Polly Ord. Polly has been works as a styling assistant and has racked up some pretty cool credits, not only is she a dab hand at interiors though, she is an amazing artist. Not only did Polly help me create the canvases, she also painted some very detailed images of the wildlife onsite. Have a look at her varied artwork here, also see what she’s up to daily on twitter and her blog. She is always up for challenges so if you love her work as much as I do, get in touch!

Anyways, back to the ombre. At first I found it hard to pick up the process of creating the right strokes and mixing the different colours. But it all seemed to be in how confident I was with the brush and paint. When I’ve created similar washes before I had just mixed the colours by dragging the brush from each side on the canvas. To create this particular finish it was about short quick strokes with the brush slowly mixing the paint together. After a few attempts Polly and myself had built up quite the collection of canvases. 
Below are some of my own and Pollys pictures from our day of painting.

photo: Polly Ord
photo: Polly Ord

photo: Eleanor Andrews
photo: Eleanor Andrews


Thanks for reading guys. Its the big one next with the final finish and final images!!

Elle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment