Wednesday 30 January 2013

Art in our pocket


So the other day I had to top up my oyster card so I could go gallivanting around London.
I usually pay by card but happened to have some cash on me for a change so topped up a fiver with a tenner, £10 to non northern folk. (i know this may sound a boring story but wait)
When I got my change I was so confused because instead of money I was given tokens for the underground, after asking a guard why I had got them and if i could change them, I was embarrassingly told they where the new £2 coin collections for the 150th birthday for the London tube....
Told you it was a funny story, well you had to be there.

Anyways, after looking more closely i realised, and the designs are awesome! Designed by BarberOsgerby they have so many little hidden details. The team of designers where also behind the design for the olympic torch last year, which i got to hold on three different occasions when with the olympics (just had to get that in)

I currently have two with the underground logo that i don't want to part with. Obviously i eventually will because i need to eat and drink and buy other clobber.

I know there is another design that i'm on the look out for which is the front of the tube, so if you see it around London i'll do a swapsies???!!!

But looking at these really got me looking at the designs on coins and how we carry these little pieces of art around with us all day, in pockets, purses, socks....

so im sharing a few pics that i found when doing a bit of research.
its kinda given me some inspiration for maybe some art work, watch this space....

Oh and Happy 150th Birthday to the London Underground!


here is an instagram image of one of my £2 coins.
you cant see it that well because of the reflection of my phone but you can make the logo out.


this image shows the second design of the victoria line tube. the details they have fitted in are so clever, the tracks, lights on the coach, and around the edge the widely recognised graphic of the tube map.
I love the way it almost looks like its coming out the coin!



recent famous coins that i loved where the 50p olympic coins. Iv probably managed to have a good look at all of them over the year, the swimming and cycling been my favourite.


i had a look to see what i had in my purse and realised i had a few coins that form the shield design that are on most of the coins. i didnt have a picture to hand when writing but if you go to the Royal Mint website you should get a better idea from images there.


look at this awesome £1 coin i had in my purse aswell. I dont really know what it depicts but i thought it looked like the Arce de Triomphe in Paris or some old Roman building.


does any one remember £5 coins??
i remember my dad having one in the 1990s and loved how big and heavy it was! although pretty looking, not ideal for a ladies purse so i am happy for the £5 note :)


when having a look around i found this in a book, how lovely is it, It is just a general £2 coin but could look like a million thins, seaweed, zebra print, a flower, it might even look good around your neck on a chain, and that way you always have money in case of an emergency!


And although we may not use them now, my grandparents have many of these lying around, the image of the ship i think is beautiful. If anyone knows what ship it is id love to know, as its just the pretty pictures i researched! 
Could you imagine in todays world having half pennys....!



Thank for reading everyone! 
Elle x









No comments:

Post a Comment